Bureau Invictus is hartstikke trots! Vorige week is onze Bureau Invictus sportdiëtist Kristin namelijk gepromoveerd op de effecten van nitraat (zoals in bietensap) supplementatie op sportprestaties! Lees hieronder haar bevindingen, conclusies en bedanknoot.
On Thursday 13 September 2018 I defended my PhD «Dietary Nitrate and Sports Performance» in Maastricht, the Netherlands. The main goal of this project was to get further insight in the role of nitrate (or beetroot juice) supplementation to improve sports performance – in order to develop sport-specific guidelines for the use of nitrate in athletes.
The main findings and conclusions – as pointed out in the infographics above – were:
– Nitrate-rich vegetables reduce blood pressure substantially and can effectively be used as nitrate supplements
– Athletes do in general not consume enough vegetables to substitute nitrate supplementation
– Highly trained endurance athletes do not benefit from nitrate supplementation
– Highly trained athletes of high-intensity and sprint disciplines might benefit from nitrate supplementation under extreme conditions when oxygen is the limiting factor
– The sports most likely to benefit from nitrate supplementation are high-intensity intermittent sports, such as soccer, water polo, swimming, sprinting, track cycling and speed skating
– The effect of nitrate is likely substantially greater in the recreationally active than the elite athlete, but the impact might higher as a small improvement to elite athletes could be the difference between winning and not even reaching the podium
Based on recent literature and the findings of my thesis, together with the Dutch Olympic Committee NOC*NSF, we are currently developing sport-specific guidelines for the use of nitrate supplementation to improve (top)sport performance.
I want to give a special thank to my promotor Prof. Luc van Loon, co-promotor and mentor Dr. Lex Verdijk and all colleagues at Maastricht University and HAN University of Applied Sciences for all support during this collaboration project. And I am grateful to have such a hugely powerful corona assessing my thesis; Prof. Andy Jones, Prof. Asker Jeukendrup, Prof. Romain Meeusen, Prof. Fred Brouns, Prof. Martijn Poeze and Prof. Annemie Schols.